Skip to main content

Change!


Notre Dame was ablaze and the fire fighters did their best and salvaged what they could.  I, of course, came here to pen something small, because like I said, Notre Dame was my first tourist site, not by choice but by convenience, not that it matters! The point is that it has a special place in my heart.

Now I can't tell you what I was thinking, I must admit I was just at that, the present, "Oh my gosh, it is burning; I this” and “I that” and “I whatever.” I didn't pause to think of its future. Then President Macron came up and said it would be rebuilt, and again I was like,” Oh great, new lease of life.” Again, I didn't think much about it.

Now before I get lost, I am thinking of two things, Change and New Lease.

Rebuilding Notre Dame
The news came out. I went to work; of course, my students and I spoke about it. Some didn’t care, some were moved, the usual. Then I read that some French billionaires have pledged about 600 million euros for its reconstruction. Pause! That is great news it is but then it got me thinking, “Say what?” I wanted to say that they have their priorities messed up …I mean can you imagine how the deprived feel hurt and disregarded? That got me thinking.

We tend to want for things to remain the same; no one really likes change, even when it is for a good cause. I have a child who hates change. She needs her routine and has difficulties adapting to change. I have another child who hates routine. He gets bored easily and loses focus. I think I can tell which one may make a good student in future, “may” because other factors play in; life isn’t that simple. How about me, how do I feel about change? Well like most things I don’t know! As Dave Chappelle once said using different words, “I never had the luxury to fathom such thoughts.” But of course, I have gone through a lot of changes too!


No matter what they do, Notre Dame will not be the same again. By the way it had already gone through other changes! 
I just wish this change didn’t have to involve a fire and donations that got my eyes popping out of their sockets.

Change is inevitable and at times, it takes heartbreaking external factors  like a fire, other times urging from  our entourage,personal desire or need.. many other factors. No matter what we do, we can't escape from change. The best thing to do is to embrace or atleast accept it and make the best out of it . 

See, Notre Dame will be given a new lease and no matter how beautiful or how much they try, a part of it is gone forever, or almost because we have a chance of keeping its good memories while creating new experiences that will turn into memories. 

Having a new lease can be rather daunting, I mean there are things about the old stuff that we love and want to keep but then there are some things that the new is offering. 
In a perfect world we would have our cake and eat it but that happens to the selected few and maybe "Our Lady" because see she is effortlessly getting her new lease. 
Unlike others; notably Mozambique, those born and living in devastating conditions, immigrants, our environment, endangered species.. 
I could go on and on as MJ crooned, “They don’t really care about us!” Or do they?

I mean, here comes Our Lady, she doesn’t ask for anything and bam people are digging in their pockets and pledging, and the government, the government has jumped to the occasion and proved it is capable!  So, I sit and think of the beautiful Cathedral that meant a lot to me, and I realize I have mixed feelings, and I wonder will we ever Change? Do we deserve a new Lease? Who gets to decide and what are the criteria? Isn’t that heart wrenching?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gems in Gem!

It took a while, but I'm back!   I haven't abandoned the project. Sincere apologies; i had a lot to deal with. But as they say, better late than never... First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone who participated in whichever way or form. I wouldn't make it without you! Asante! Shukran! Thank you! Merci! Ero kamano! It was a roller coaster ride; I had a lot to do and while the cups were easy to get since people either donated them or sent me money and all I had to do was drive to the nearest supermarket and buy them, the reusable pads were another tale altogether! I delayed in sending in the order. The seller was kind enough to not only send them by bus (this is so convenient and affordable) but to also throw in a few as a donation too! They didn't get to Nairobi in time; they travelled roughly 686kms from Mtwapa to Kisumu, then we picked them up and got them to GEM (pronounced like g for goat but we truly are gems 😉 ). The original pla

NOTRE DAME

The plan was to write something about the Gem project chapter 1 , share pictures and updates. That was the plan but then Notre Dame happened. Notre Dame and I have a story, a long one or so I believe. It was the first or among the first places i visited when i moved to France.    I came to France in 2001, I was a young naïve innocent girl, only one thing has changed, I will let you decide which one it is. Basically, I went to boarding school in high school, it was typical for most teens but times they are a changing , today, parents don’t trust boarding schools that much! My boarding school experience was an easy one. Despite what some perceive, I am quite the unconfident and reserved girl who loves to be in a crowd because it is easy to hide in crowds. I went to high school and had to work on my social skills, because my siblings and by siblings, I mean family and neighbors weren’t there to shield me and speak for me! according to my schoolmates I did such a great job

A mutant’s journey

A mutant’s journey  The Road not taken. Robert Frost I never dreamed of being a teacher or anything really. I wanted to be an engineer like my father, and the key word here is father. But my Physics teacher told me I was pathetic. Not his exact words, but they may as well have been. He didn’t dislike me he just thought that I wasn’t cut out for it. The thing is we will never know whether he was right or wrong.  He wasn’t the first teacher to tell me I wasn’t good at something. In primary school, our Arts teacher advised me to drop Art as soon as I could (it was compulsory in Primary). He was right, I suck big time at Arts. My son could draw better than me when he was only three. Now that I think about it, could it be that the art teacher killed the artist in me? I doubt it! Even I am not able to that theory.  Anyway, after my Engineer dream was shattered, I decided I was going to be a lawyer or a shrink. I didn’t need any help shattering my lawyer dream. How you may ask, L