Skip to main content

NOTRE DAME



The plan was to write something about the Gem project chapter 1 , share pictures and updates. That was the plan but then Notre Dame happened.

Notre Dame and I have a story, a long one or so I believe. It was the first or among the first places i visited when i moved to France. 

 I came to France in 2001, I was a young naïve innocent girl, only one thing has changed, I will let you decide which one it is.

Basically, I went to boarding school in high school, it was typical for most teens but times they are a changing , today, parents don’t trust boarding schools that much! My boarding school experience was an easy one. Despite what some perceive, I am quite the unconfident and reserved girl who loves to be in a crowd because it is easy to hide in crowds. I went to high school and had to work on my social skills, because my siblings and by siblings, I mean family and neighbors weren’t there to shield me and speak for me! according to my schoolmates I did such a great job they still refuse to accept /remember who I truly am. But that isn’t the story, I went to high school and like most teens I was there to enjoy the ride, ok unlike most in my result-based school. During school break I was busy catching up with my siblings and honestly saw no point of exploring the world. They did but I was content just hanging with them. This means I never quite got to know my city/country.
When I cleared form 4, also known as sitting for your O level or A level or Bac exams, I, like most city kids, was asked to go find a “college” read vocational or any form of higher education to keep busy.

I had lost interest in education a few years prior, but being the good child that I am, I had forged through because I was aware that I lived in a country where education was the only ticket one had to a semblance of success…no of having a close to decent life and even then you weren’t quite guaranteed of it…I of course knew that 
1. I wouldn’t make the uni cut*
Only the best of the best are picked. I have no recollection as to whether or not i sent in an application. 
And 2. I couldn’t decide what I wanted to study ; so one of my brothers and father decided for me. Before you roll your eyes and scream patriarchy, I was more than happy to let them. It was my choice. Ok let us carry on, I did a few courses, they all bored me to death but I was wise enough to ensure I got a certificate each time. Except once. There’s always the exception to the rule right?

Anyway (I should stop using this!), my mum got tired of my indecisions amongst other things and decided to send me out of the country. Several people approached her with several proposals, the UK, U.S.A and then France. I didn’t care for either, she picked France.
 I should ask her why once we finish fighting over the fact that I never went back!🤔

So off to France, I went, man! As she now says she was crazy! See we too fear sending our kids away especially to the 1st world more so for the girl child/ woman. Female = more vulnerable: drugs, kidnapping, prostitution, depression…
I'm glad to report that despite the odds i came and i conquered or did i? At least i survived! Another story for another day... This may need to be a book though with sequels.

and 10 paragraphs later I need to get to my point before I lose you all!
The point is Notre Dam and Jakki.

As i said N. D was my first. My hosts were busy and had taken 2 days off to welcome me into their home, show me around etc. They took me there, just outside and showed it to me. In case i wanted to go pray in a beautiful cathedral.Back then i identified as a Christian because such things were and remain important to some (yet another story) I should write a sequel on my first experience in France, let me just summarize by saying culture difference + sheltered girl + me didn’t speaky any French at all. Seriously! Bonjour , je m’appel, merci… can’t count! I have taken digression to a whole new level, apologies... Notre Dame de Paris!



Notre Dame was one of the first monuments I visited and continue to visit.
I got lost so many times in this my adopted country with no one to talk to but we had visited Notre Dame and it was easy to get to, I didn’t need to change trains, and it was right next to the exit! So, I would go there, Monday to Friday (I had a carte orange! -today we call it Navigo transport card quoi!) I need for you to not only know that years later I speaky French but get in the Frenchy groove.

Why else? 
There were affordable cyber cafes, the best gyros/kebab/Greek call it what you want are near Notre Dame, Gibert Jeune , the restaurants, the artists…why lie! I love that area, everyone who has visited me I have happily accompanied to Notre Dame. I took my parents there when they visited and while my mother went in and started to pray dad said a quick one and admired the architecture, mum still wonders why there were more tourists than “believers”

When I joined business school one of my first papers to write and presentations to give was on Notre Dame.  I love it as much as those pick pockets do.

Which reminds me, the year is 002 A.F (after France), I have been in France, for about 4 months still going to ST Michel every day on weekdays, I am making a phone call, (those days when people still used public telephone booths and calling cards worth 50 francs or 7 eur.) I turn and find this kid, hands in my bag! I was offended good lord, me Jakki, a Nairobian, being robbed in broad day light near my monument by a kid! Of course, he didn’t get away with anything but still!!

Today Notre Dame is ablaze and my heart weeps, I recall my last visit, 17 A.F. “I’m cold, we can come back another day or time, I now know the way, I can even come back alone!”
My kids, as far as I can tell, haven’t set foot in it since 2017, because “we will go ….”. Lest we forget, tomorrow isn’t promised unto us”. Notre Dame will be rebuilt, all isn’t lost.


HEROES
Paris Fire fighters you have made us proud, thank you for doing your best, thank you for the efforts to save our Lady. Merci Beaucoup et bon courage! Vous êtes les meilleurs.

*images from the web






Comments

  1. So what caused this fire? Also what did you say to the kid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, the fire issue is still under investigation. 2 theories, short circuit or negligence by workers....

    As for the boy, i suspect we were both taken aback, overconfidence is not a good thing. Our eyes spoke, he bowed and strolled away.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gems in Gem!

It took a while, but I'm back!   I haven't abandoned the project. Sincere apologies; i had a lot to deal with. But as they say, better late than never... First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone who participated in whichever way or form. I wouldn't make it without you! Asante! Shukran! Thank you! Merci! Ero kamano! It was a roller coaster ride; I had a lot to do and while the cups were easy to get since people either donated them or sent me money and all I had to do was drive to the nearest supermarket and buy them, the reusable pads were another tale altogether! I delayed in sending in the order. The seller was kind enough to not only send them by bus (this is so convenient and affordable) but to also throw in a few as a donation too! They didn't get to Nairobi in time; they travelled roughly 686kms from Mtwapa to Kisumu, then we picked them up and got them to GEM (pronounced like g for goat but we truly are gems 😉 ). The original pla

A mutant’s journey

A mutant’s journey  The Road not taken. Robert Frost I never dreamed of being a teacher or anything really. I wanted to be an engineer like my father, and the key word here is father. But my Physics teacher told me I was pathetic. Not his exact words, but they may as well have been. He didn’t dislike me he just thought that I wasn’t cut out for it. The thing is we will never know whether he was right or wrong.  He wasn’t the first teacher to tell me I wasn’t good at something. In primary school, our Arts teacher advised me to drop Art as soon as I could (it was compulsory in Primary). He was right, I suck big time at Arts. My son could draw better than me when he was only three. Now that I think about it, could it be that the art teacher killed the artist in me? I doubt it! Even I am not able to that theory.  Anyway, after my Engineer dream was shattered, I decided I was going to be a lawyer or a shrink. I didn’t need any help shattering my lawyer dream. How you may ask, L