Skip to main content

The Journey




The Cups’ journey vs the pads’ journey

So, the cups claim that they had a long journey. I had decided to put them all in one suitcase together with the toys and some books. Unfortunately, I had to leave some bulky toys and the books I had put aside, because it wasn’t going to be easy maneuvering in the train stations and airport with lots of luggage.
The journey didn’t begin well. First, I realized that I had too many bags; the issue was the number of reliable hands versus the number of suitcases. Some stuff had to be left out last minute. Clothes, reusable pads, toys and books, anything I could get on site was left. I carried 3 outfits; my sisters would lend me clothes. Cups deserved the suitcase space and they got it first. I put them in this big red suitcase and off we went.
Come morning, 5 am when we needed to leave and were busy trying to change this or that and get the sleepy kids out, my lovely neighbor knocked on my door to complain. We were up at 5 disrupting his sleep. He was not understanding at all and that set me off in a bad mood. We had to run to the train station because every minute counted, and well, we lost 10 trying to explain ourselves. We missed the train but got the next one, got to Paris well then came the interesting part: the RER B (train) journey to the airport.
We had 4 suitcases in total and back packs. We settled into the RER B (train); I didn’t want to sit, and somehow all throughout the ride my instinct had been to watch the bags closely. Anyone who knows me will tell you I almost never take care of my bags. Well in the train this drunk started an argument with the controllers. He didn’t have his ticket and he was making a fuss about things. What struck me though was that something seemed off. I actually intervened, at some point told the controllers to let him be; he had given them the information needed whether he pays the fine or not wasn’t up to them. He kept questioning them yet seemed to know the answers at times he was even better versed with the rules and regulations than they were. He was provoking them and they were falling for it.  Then he started to threaten them but even the threats seemed… weird. Something wasn’t adding up. Finally, the controllers left. I had noticed his friend from the corner of my eyes; he had come in, greeted him quite discreetly, and gotten off the wagon, only to reappear later. At this point, I believe I was just doing what I do best: observing. In fact, when the guy reappeared, I wondered why he’d gotten off. A few stops later, they decided to get off. Guess what his friend confidently tried to carry out? Yep. My donations suitcase. It took me a split second before I held him, asked him to gently put the suitcase down and “get off the train before I do something, we’d both regret.” He very gently put it down and got off.
Now, I don’t know what I would have done; I am quite a calm shy person (forget my keyboard noise) but for sure I learnt a few things: (1) always follow your instinct and (2) thieves don’t joke. I now wonder if the guy was drunk or was just making a fuss. They were strong. That suitcase weighed 24kgs and he was carrying it lightly. Never raise your voice, surprise them hiss and look them directly in the eyes… Ok, I don’t know if I could ever redo it, but it worked.
What would I have told people had they disappeared with the case? What would they have done upon realization that they had gotten CUPS?

The pads definitely had an easy journey. I mean I got in touch with many people. My idea was to work with manufacturers. Most never got back to me, but I must say I didn’t quite insist… Anyway, my friend and in-law Seline came through for me. She called and pestered and questioned and selected … She more than did her homework. Then I got to Kenya and when there especially the first few days my time isn’t mine. Ok fine it never is! So, I called her panicked; I hadn’t ordered in advance as I had assumed the company we had selected was also based in Nairobi, I would walk in and walk out with the products but not only were they in Mtwapa Coast region, but almost none of the Nairobi sellers delivered on Saturdays. She called them again and worked her magic, they surprised me by (1) giving some donations and (2) Working after office hours for me plus sending my package on Saturday! The package was set out for Kisumu (50ish kms from where I was staying in Gem).  We assumed it would get there early morning, while we got in late morning, but this didn’t happen. We tried to wait but the kids were exhausted and really there was no telling which bus would bring it in (about 4 buses would be getting in at different times). So, we opted to go home and see if it would be delivered closer to Gem. Unfortunately, that seemed quite complicated so we opted to make another trip to Kisumu and pick it from there.
Their journey was less complex, really.

My take
Chill out! It's not a competition! The journeys were interesting but they go to show how this was meant to happen. Eventually we(me, cups and pads)arrived late but safe and sound.




I have attached some maps for illustration and a little newspaper article I found about my hometown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gems in Gem!

It took a while, but I'm back!   I haven't abandoned the project. Sincere apologies; i had a lot to deal with. But as they say, better late than never... First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone who participated in whichever way or form. I wouldn't make it without you! Asante! Shukran! Thank you! Merci! Ero kamano! It was a roller coaster ride; I had a lot to do and while the cups were easy to get since people either donated them or sent me money and all I had to do was drive to the nearest supermarket and buy them, the reusable pads were another tale altogether! I delayed in sending in the order. The seller was kind enough to not only send them by bus (this is so convenient and affordable) but to also throw in a few as a donation too! They didn't get to Nairobi in time; they travelled roughly 686kms from Mtwapa to Kisumu, then we picked them up and got them to GEM (pronounced like g for goat but we truly are gems 😉 ). The original pla

NOTRE DAME

The plan was to write something about the Gem project chapter 1 , share pictures and updates. That was the plan but then Notre Dame happened. Notre Dame and I have a story, a long one or so I believe. It was the first or among the first places i visited when i moved to France.    I came to France in 2001, I was a young naïve innocent girl, only one thing has changed, I will let you decide which one it is. Basically, I went to boarding school in high school, it was typical for most teens but times they are a changing , today, parents don’t trust boarding schools that much! My boarding school experience was an easy one. Despite what some perceive, I am quite the unconfident and reserved girl who loves to be in a crowd because it is easy to hide in crowds. I went to high school and had to work on my social skills, because my siblings and by siblings, I mean family and neighbors weren’t there to shield me and speak for me! according to my schoolmates I did such a great job

A mutant’s journey

A mutant’s journey  The Road not taken. Robert Frost I never dreamed of being a teacher or anything really. I wanted to be an engineer like my father, and the key word here is father. But my Physics teacher told me I was pathetic. Not his exact words, but they may as well have been. He didn’t dislike me he just thought that I wasn’t cut out for it. The thing is we will never know whether he was right or wrong.  He wasn’t the first teacher to tell me I wasn’t good at something. In primary school, our Arts teacher advised me to drop Art as soon as I could (it was compulsory in Primary). He was right, I suck big time at Arts. My son could draw better than me when he was only three. Now that I think about it, could it be that the art teacher killed the artist in me? I doubt it! Even I am not able to that theory.  Anyway, after my Engineer dream was shattered, I decided I was going to be a lawyer or a shrink. I didn’t need any help shattering my lawyer dream. How you may ask, L